Unlocking bootloader is the primary step you should follow to perform further developmental activities like installing a custom recovery, rooting, flashing custom ROMs, changing kernels etc. Unfortunately, Poco F1, like other Xiaomi phones, comes with a locked bootloader by default.
On the other hand, Poco users are blessed with a short bootloader unlock request time, which is 72 hours, unlike other devices having a whopping 720 hours. In this tutorial, let’s see how you can easily unlock the bootloader of your Poco F1 the official way!
Unlocking bootloader wipes internal data. So it’s highly recommended to make a complete phone data backup to your PC. Your files, settings, messages, contacts and everything else will be erased once you unlock the phone.
DownloadsXiaomi USB Drivers ADB & Fastboot Drivers Mi Unlock Tool
How to Unlock the Bootloader of Poco F1
Phase I – Requesting for Unlock Permission
- First of all, head on to the official Mi unlock website and apply for the bootloader unlock permission. Further steps are self-explanatory. Sign in with your Mi account (same as you used on your Poco) and follow the instructions.
- Login to your Mi account from your phone and enable Find My Device option. Go to Settings >Mi Unlock Status >Add Account & Device and make sure you’re logged In.
- Now you have to wait for 72 hours to receive the unlocking the permission. Meanwhile, you can set up the unlocking tools and drivers on your PC.
Phase II – Setting up Unlock Environment
- Download and install Xiaomi USB drivers, ADB & Fastboot drivers, and Mi Flash Unlock tool on your PC. Reboot your PC if necessary.
- Make sure your PC has the ADB folder as shown below. (Usually found in C drive)
- Go to Settings, About phone and tap on the MIUI version several times until your Developer Options get enabled.
- Now go to Additional Settings -> Developers Options and enable OEM Unlock and turn on USB Debugging.
Phase III – The Unlocking Stage
- You should have completed 72 hours (3 days) after the unlock request.
- Run Mi Unlock tool with administrator privileges. Log in with your Mi user credentials.
- Now switch off your phone and press and hold Volume down button and power button together until you get the green fastboot logo.
- Connect your Poco to PC with the provided USB type-c cable. Check whether your device is detected by the PC by executing the following command. (Open command window inside the ADB folder by holding the shift key and right clicking on an empty space).
- If it returns a device info, then proceed to the next step. Else re-install the USB & ADB drivers on PC.
- On the Mi Unlock tool, click on the Unlock button and let it finish unlocking your Poco F1.
- If everything went well, your Pocophone’s bootloader should have successfully unlocked. You can confirm this by executing another command on the fastboot mode:
fastboot oem device-info
- Now reboot your phone and set up the device as new. As I mentioned earlier, your data were erased and you might need to copy the backed up files to your phone.
Your Poco F1’s bootloader should have unlocked successfully by completing the aforementioned steps. Now you can install TWRP, flash custom ROMs, root and perform further awesome tweaks!